What does the IRS want?

Amy asked for me to share what I had learned...which isn't very much, I am afraid.
(LOOK--I did another picture--aren't you so proud of me....even though there is no linky thing to Amy's blog....baby steps.)

Anyway, you CAN use Chinese receipts, as long as they are legible, and have some English description. Simply add a note to it stating the exchange rate and that the total of xxRMB=$$xx USD. I included receipts that I thought were obvious, like hotel, room service, a receipt I got for a 1 day trip to an orphanage. I used a Pizza Hut receipt, because you can't get anything but food there, but did not include a Wal-mart receipt, because it could have been a big screen TV for all they know.....the line by line descriptions were in Chinese.

All invoices MUST be marked paid or have a running column of debits and credits, showing the payments. One agency sent me invoices, which I paid, but they did not send out a paid receipt. Since getting check copies could get expensive, and take a while, the agency printed me another receipt marked paid.

You also have to include a written statement of expenses, which we did on a spreadsheet, and signed it. And you have to send the adoption certificate, Hague certificate, Cert. of Citizenship AGAIN, we added our re-adoption certificate for safe measure.

We do not know how closely they will look at everything, but we put notes and descriptions on everything. THey may take one glance and throw it in the shredder, but we wanted to be as thorough as possible--just in case.

**note added** A friend who used a BIG agency only had to get them to do one printout, and she was done---the big agencies tend to funnel all expenses through their bookkeeping. We used small agencies, received seperate bills for travel, flights, in country expenses, etc., and we received some grants which applied to our agency fees; so that is why we had to dig so deep and provide lots of receipts.

No comments:

Post a Comment