*

*

Surgery--not a good day

I got up at 4am to take Waid for his Glaucoma surgery.  I am not a morning person....but it's not about me=)
This time the nurses/anesthesia actually believed me, and he got some versed before the surgery.  WHY do they not listen to parents?  I know they deal with some parents who are wimps, and just don't want to see their kid cry.  But an adoptive mom, whose telling them he doesn't speak much english, he was abused, he will freak out if you make me take his clothes off..............last time they would not listen to me until he was on the floor banging his head; so this time the listened.  (it's a really good thing, cuz I have a sinus infection, and things could have gotten ugly)

I do not know if the Versed affects how the kids act after anesthesia--I was trying to remember from the times Avery has had it.  Anyway, he was awful coming out of anesthesia, huge screaming fits, flailing his body around. (Remember, he was at an eye institute, not Children's, they are not used to seeing kids.) They all looked at me as if I could do something about it.  Like I just did not know how to make my child behave....very frustrating.
Waid ended up getting more demoral in recovery, just to calm him down.  Now he has slept in my lap, on and off ALL day.  Last time he was back to normal after lunchtime.
We get to do anesthesia again in 6 weeks---oh joy.
The GOOD news is, Waid was able to get a shunt with a valve.  The Dr originally thought it was impossible.  We were expecting Laser surgery (remember- if they laser too much, the eye could be lost).  They shunt had to go in a different location than normal, but did fit.
In 6 weeks, both shunts will be checked (under anesthesia), and if all is well, they could last him around 7 years; buying precious time.

And as hard and frustrating as all this can be, we are grateful to live so close to a major university hospital, where Waid can get the help he needs.  It is no coincidence that the Lord placed him here, with us, in Bham AL.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry he has to go through any of this, glad they listened to you, sorry that waking up was so traumatic, and glad that you do have professional care nearby. Hopefully the next time goes better, for both you and Waid.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, he looks so sad. I bet this is so hard on you and your hubby. I will pray for sweet little Waid this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor guy! Just makes me wonder what he must think is going on. I'm glad you were able to get the Versed for him this time. I'm glad too that he's now with the family that God intended him to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad they were able to do the shunt. Praise the Lord! I hate that it didn't go as well in other ways, though. Hope he's feeling better soon, as well as everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Janet, I am so sorry about that rough day for all of you! I was thinking of you earlier today. Anesthesia is NO, NO fun, and I can't stand watching the kids come out of it (and they didn't have it as rough as Waid!) We are praying for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It breaks my heart to see him like that. Poor Baby! My prayers are with Waid and the rest of the family. Let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete