*

*
Our 29th anniversary, and the long story of our rings. 
We met on a blind date in September of 1987, set up by mutual friends.
Our friends got engaged, and DH overheard me saying that if I was going to wear a ring on my hand forever, I wanted to pick it out.  He remembered that comment.
Just one month after meeting!, he asked me to marry him, and we looked for rings. 

I had to choose between a costly ring and no honeymoon,
 or a more modest ring and a honeymoon.

1988
I chose the modest ring, and Disney World; DH had never been.



                                                  1992

1997ish

I don't have a good variety date-wise of pictures to show.  They are on a top shelf in the garage, in 2 big plastic boxes that probably weigh 80 lbs each-.  I had to stand on a chair, blindly stick my arm in, and pull out what I could.


1998
At the 10 year mark, I got a new ring, I don't have a picture, but it was very similar to the one pictured above.

We went back to Disney World that year too.

 Our thinking, at the time, was that I would get a new ring every 10 years.
That way, by the time the kids were grown, Kristen could have a ring, and Jake would have one to give to his wife or keep for a daughter.
Life went on, 


We adopted Emmi in 2005.


Then Avery in 2007.

 I don't remember actually choosing between the two, but in 2008 we did an "all the way down to the studs" kitchen renovation instead of me getting a ring.  The link is from the "house for sale" blog we did a few years ago.


I had stopped wearing my ring years ago due to some nerve damage that has since healed, and DH had never worn his much, since he worked with electricity.  In 2010, we sold all our gold as we were adopting Wes and Waid, just 5 months apart.
(read it if you have time, one of my better posts)


We're a year early on the "every 10 years" ring.  But this year, we got new rings!
And after realizing we had very few photos together, we had fun taking a bunch today.

At first I wanted stackable rings, to hand down to our daughters.  All the ones we found were very dainty, DH did not feel they were "worthy" of 29 years.

Then I tried putting a stackable ring in the middle, with an anniversary band on each side.  
Although several rings on a short stubby finger like mine, did not work out too well.

It was pretty, but did not add up to be a carat.
                     My wonderful husband wanted me to have a carat.
I knew I wanted a band, not a style that had stones set up on prongs.  I wear my ring 24/7, and didn't want a prong ring catching or hitting on things.
Here's what we decided on:  the picture doesn't do it justice.  I really did my homework on diamonds, and the sparkle of this ring is amazing.

DH was very patient in our search, even buying a ring at one store, to take to another store, so I could see them side by side.
On one of our shoppingtrips, he spotted this watch.  Of course he got it----you don't say "no" to a man who just bought you a carat!
                                                Thankful and blessed!!

2 comments:

  1. Good post - I got the ring I wear now alongside an anniversary band in HI at the 15 year mark. The next year we adopted from Liberia and saw Blood Diamond and I will never want another ring. Thankfully, it's good for the long haul. JD's is majorly beat and he was seriously electrocuted around his ring in the military once, so he plans to get one tattooed on. That's a lot for a very anti-tattoo Navy guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy early anniversary! This summer will be 29 years for me and my husband too.

    ReplyDelete