*

*

Two days, three babies

Yes, my calling them babies gives away the fact that I did not always live on a farm. =)
Jennifer had two kids, Thomas Jefferson and June.  They were not born in the barn, as all of our other goats have been.  But after Emmi discovered them, she moved them and Jennifer to a warm, clean stall.
Coralee started showing signs of calving a week ago.  
It was a mystery; our rented bull went home a month before this calving date.
Then we bought a bull, but if Coralee was bred on his 1st day here, she still wouldn't be due until April 1st.

The calf looks really bad here, which makes me think she is early.
Looking better, but would not stand up. 
It should be standing within an hour, and nursing.
 DH was at work, I put her in Emmi's lap on the cart, and took her to the barn.
Then Wes helped get Coralee to the milk barn for milking.  A calf needs colostrum soon, or it can die.  They do not receive antibodies from the mom, and must get them in the form of colostrum.
Butterball babysat.  
We milked Coralee and forced the colostrum down the
 baby's throat with a turkey baster.  The kids held the calf up, using a sheet for a sling, while I fed her, but she still would not stand.  

At that point, we could do nothing else.

We were thrilled to find this baby, named Pearl, standing a few hours later.
At evening milking time, I carried her to the milking parlor when it was time to milk Coralee.  We poured up more colostrum, and fed her again while Coralee was eating.
I carried her back to the barn.  I probably carried Pearl over 1/4 mile altogether. The fact that she was small enough for me to do that, 
also leads me to think that she is early.

Here I am feeding Pearl her bottle the next morning.  She is doing well, and will stay in a stall for several days.  After that, she will be living in the "friends" pasture, with Moe, Toby, and the goats.

No comments:

Post a Comment