*

*

The organic pantry

After learning so much about food this summer, we've decided to go organic.  More specifically, trying to avoid GMO's.
 We spent the summer eating up our stock of non-organic food.  We checked out all the local stores to see what was available, and put a menu together.  We are shopping at Amazon (with prime account), and Whole Foods.   After some practice, we are back to once a month shopping (at Whole Foods).  The money from the opposite 2 weeks paycheck will go to Amazon, purchasing toiletries, and stocking up on meat.
We do have to drive over 30 minutes to get to whole foods, but that's OK
The atmosphere is amazing---considering I've been shopping at Aldi and WM.
 With summer over, we haven't been to the farmer's market in a few weeks.
We pick up milk from our cow, Dolly, every Friday.  We have 2 sources for fresh eggs, also picked up on Fridays.  And then the Whole Foods trip on Friday, once a month.  I'm pretty happy with that.
And, Target has a decent selection of organic fresh fruit, and salad, if we need it.
 I know you're thinking....isn't organic expensive?? After our 2nd month buying at Whole Foods, I would have to say---NO!
 Yes, I am surprised too.  My budget still not totally balanced.  I'm trying to get a good stock of things build back up.
A big thing, though, is the food is so nutritious, not junky fillers, so we have cut our snacking in half.
 Today I bought 50 lbs of  burger meat, from a farmer about an hour away.  His happy cows are grass fed.  The grass fed burger meat at Target is $6.99--$7.99 a pound.  The farmer's normal price is $5, but I got it for $4.50 by buying in bulk.  SO I paid $225, plus around $20 for gas.  The Target (lowest) price would have been $350, plus tax=$385........I saved  $140!!!!
Can you stand anymore excitement??
The money in the budget that went for burger meat this month, will go to buy several months worth of toiletries at WM next month.
Translation.....I will not have to step foot in WM for months!!!!!!
Happy dance, happy dance=)

No comments:

Post a Comment