*

*

You have GOT to be kidding!!


              We went to Michael's to get a frame for the peasant art that I bought 2 years ago when
                                           we adopted Wes......yes, I'm really on top of things.

                               There was a nice lady in the store who commented on how well
                                          behaved the children were, and how cute the were.

As an adoptive parent, I am always aware of my duty to help educate people about the orphan crisis, and my children's various special needs.
And no matter how rediculous the question, I try to be polite and informative, so this day was no        exception....I also have to remember that 12 little ears are listening to my response.

She said: Are these two really blind?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I thought in that split second:  No, running errands with 6 kids isn't fun enough, so I thought we'd have these 2 tote these fiberglass canes around, just for the challenge of it.  And training a 6yo, who is mentally 3, to keep up with his cane, and learn to use it properly,  sounded like a fun extra curricular activity.  And no, they are just pretending; to get your sympathy.

OK--maybe it was more than a split second.

What I said:  Actually, less than 10% of "blind" people are totally blind.  The both have some useable vision, but would run into things and trip without their canes.............

I was such a good girl=)

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:13 PM

    good for you....Im sure if I would've been in your situation, I may have said something a little snarky or at least very tempted too. ~Trina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO think those responses too! I really just want to scrunch my eyes and say, "do you really want to ask that?" But I'm good too, except in Picture People once when the lady pointed to white James in front of black Ben and asked, "is he your real child?" and I replied, "they are both real, Ben isn't imaginary."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great response and it was very informative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your sharing this Janet because I have to admit that when I hear the word "blind" I too think of no vision AT ALL. I have been learning so much in my research in preparation for our daughter's upcoming adoption. I still feel so unprepared! Your kindness in your response not only shows the love of Jesus but it also educates ignorance. I mean it!
    I take my vision for granted and heavily rely on it. I can't truly imagine if my vision were to become severely limited. How would I read? Cook? Clean? Teach? etc. etc. I still have so much to learn. I have to keep in mind that my waiting daughter has always lived with the vision she has. I have seen through you that children who are visually impaired can still be very independent and even homeschooled! I know many people who have children with visual impairments who have chosen to send them to public school so they could get the services the parents feel they need and would not otherwise receive. I have struggled with the what ifs as we are a homeschooling family and don't want to send ONE child to school b/c of her vision issues. You truly have encouraged me. I may call you one day out of the blue with a hundred questions :) Just giving you fair warning ;) Thanks for sharing. ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am laughing and rolling my eyes. Why do I imagine that the snarky answer would feel so good to say? :? But, alas, we must fight the flesh. Glad you did!

    ReplyDelete