*

*

We struck Gold!

 My friend  Rebekah told me about a place in town that buys gold.  I had seen those places in the past, seen commercials, and was skeptical.  But maybe that was because my gold was "for such a time as this"--this current adoption.

So I gathered up borken chains, out-of-style jewelry from the 1980's, and my class ring.  I had a relative who--  for a while-- gave me gold hoop earrings for every birthday and Christmas; I decided I can only wear one pair at a time, so I added the rest to my baggie of gold.  Then I added our wedding rings---
                                                             OH-YES-I-DID!!!
                            in case you haven't noticed, we're serious about adoption.
 Pick your teeth up off the floor ; I will add that I have nerve damage in a few fingers, and haven't worn my rings for years, and DH is an electrician, so it was not safe for him to wear his ring for many years.  He now has a desk job, but just doesn't wear it.  SO why hold onto this gold, when true treasures (our children) are waiting?!
                       I got $775 for things that were sitting around gathering dust.  WOOHOO Jesus!!      

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."  Matthew 6:19-21
                                                             
" Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."  Luke 12:33-34

Over the years, with each adoption, we have "sacrificed" many "things"........vehicles, hunting club, vacations, family antiques, and even family members!  (although we did not get any money for the family members=0, and we did not literally sacrifice them). Now, I am not saying everyone should sell their wedding rings.   My point is, God replaced our "things" with precious treasures, our children.  Nothing we could ever have on this earth is worth them having the chance to spend eternity in heaven!  When we "think" we are sacrificing something, God always rewards us with something so much better!
What "things" are you holding onto in life?  Are they hindering you from doing the Lord's work?

5 comments:

  1. You won't believe this, but the hubby just (today) Fed-Exed a package of our gold jewelry to his brother, who has a friend that deals in gold. Both his brother and the friend are going to give up their cut of the profit and give us everything it's worth to go towards our adoption! Great minds think alike.....although, I do have to say that I blanched at the idea of giving up my wedding band. I did give up 2 family rings that I inherited though. And, I don't wear an engagement ring or I might have been tempted to give that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an idea worth considering!!! I have lots of jewelry that I don't wear either. And after 2 different people I know lost a finger in ring accidents, I quit wearing my wedding ring too. (Hubby never wore one at all!) Does your photo show everything that added up to $700+?

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMY- Everything is in the pic, except our wedding rings. DH's was very big and heavy. Actually my 1st set is in the pic, I got a new ring at 10 years, it is not shown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea!!! Congrats!!
    Trina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:44 PM

    Love your blog and do wish you speedy travel to your waiting children! What agency are you using? Considering SN adoption now. Thanks, Pat

    ReplyDelete