*

*

Frugal Friday--sort of

Sort of, because the cornbread stuffing with squash is wonderful--and cheap. But the whole meal was about $12. Pork chops in bulk, on sale, salad, on sale, with patio-grown tomatoes. cranberry sauce, and the stuffing---recipe below.
Whenever I cook a new meal or item, I always figure the cost. If it is over $12, we usually will not have it again. For 6 people our groceries run about $650 a month, which includes HBA, toilet paper, cleaners, --everything.
Stacking coupons is a big help; using the store coupon and the manufacturer's coupon on the same item. Also, using coupon's along with the BOGO specials, you can use a coupon for the free one too. Our local store publishes the sale items for the week by 10pm on Tuesday nights. I print a list out from that, then go to http://www.thecouponclippers.com/. I purchase coupons for the sale items that I will use. I thought buying coupons was insane until I understood how it can work. I only purchase coupons that are for under 50 cents, so they will be doubled. When pantry items are a good deal, or I have room in the freezer, I stock up....big time. Not that it won't go on sale again, but if I stock up, I simply don't have to worry about it for a while. Some examples of our best deals are Suave shampoo and conditioner that my kids use- 49 cents for XL bottles, I got enough for a year. Skippy peanut butter, 48 cents a jar, bought 20. Band-aids, coupon did not specify a package size, so I got trial size at Target for 99 cents, the coupon was for $1, so they actually paid me! I got about 200 band-aids. The exception to the rule of not buying coupons over 50 cents, is if they are for $1 or more off of items that I am buying anyway, like cereal...which I have about 20 boxes of. We got about 20 boxes of oatmeal for around 50 cents a box, using BOGO and coupons. I do not do this every week, I started out at 2x a month, then slack off when the pantry is stuffed. Once a month I go to Wal Mart (because we know it is cheapest across the board--not because we like it) and use all the coupons that expire that month, that weren't used in conjunction with the weekly ads.
OK--sorry if that was boring for some of you--now the recipe.
This is wonderful, and a great way to get more veggies into the kids.

Squash Dressing--preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2c yellow squash (1 very large or 2-3 small)
2c corn bread dressing--99 cents at Aldi
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2c onion--I use the frozen chopped onions "seasoning blend"
3 eggs
1/2c melted butter
Chop squash into small pieces, add about 1/2c water, put into microwave dish with lid, and microwave about 5 minutes. Drain the water off of the squash. Then mix all ingredients together, pour into 2 quart greased casserole dish, bake 30 minutes. YUM!!



2 comments:

  1. That wasn't boring to me at all! I love hearing about how to cut the grocery bill! I definitely try to get good deals but I'm horrible about coupons. We live pretty far from most grocery stores so I'm limited to one (which often has good deals), and WM (which, as you said, is cheapest across the board).

    I mentally try to keep my meals under a certain amount...but I'm not great at sticking to that. I do make a lot with hamburger (horribly unhealthy, I know) because it's cheap. So when I do spend extra on something special then I don't feel so bad.

    Sorry I've rambled. I will go check out your coupon link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try the recipe! Sure looks yummy! Thanks for the tips on the coupons...we'll definitely have to look into that now that we'll be a family of 5!!

    ReplyDelete